In case you had predicted that the next era of the internet will be dominated by artificial intelligence, then your predictions are being proven right. After an explosive launch of ChatGPT by OpenAI in November 2022, Google’s parent company Alphabet, Inc. has launched Google’s own answer to ChatGPT in the form of Google Bard.
The contribution of ChatGPT in the world of advanced technology is immense, and it has practically revolutionised the usage of conversational AI chatbots. However, if there is one company which can compete with OpenAI in the AI battle, then it is definitely Google. Let us take a close look at these two AI chatbots, and try to understand the major differences between the two which can be proven monumental in the battle of artificial intelligences.
What is ChatGPT?
OpenAI is an America-based artificial intelligence research and deployment firm which has dedicated its time to developing AI-powered tools that are going to be helpful for businesses, individuals, and humanity in general. OpenAI entered the AI scene with an image generation AI program that was able to produce images depending on the prompts entered by the users. This program was called Dall-E. After the success of Dall-E and Dall-E 2, OpenAI launched their modern age AI chatbot using their AI model GPT 3 and thus began the journey of ChatGPT.
ChatGPT functions based on OpenAI’s large language model – GPT. GPT is the abbreviation for Generative Pre-Trained Transformer. GPT is a ground-breaking language processing AI model which works on a neural network architecture which is designed for processing natural language and human forms of speech. Presently, the free version of ChatGPT functions on GPT 3.5 while the paid version ChatGPT Plus functions on GPT 4.
ChatGPT has a large use case thanks to its free version which is open for all to use and experience. It can produce literary content (poems, short stories, plots for novels, movie scripts), academic content (essays, articles, research papers), codes, marketing strategies for businesses, and more. It has been proven helpful for individuals and institutions simultaneously – creating a path for the prosperity of future AI models.
What is Google Bard?
In response to ChatGPT, Google has launched its own experimental conversational AI model called Google Bard. While ChatGPT is developed based on OpenAI’s own large language model GPT, Google has developed their own LLM for training Bard – Language Model for Dialogue Applications (LaMDA). The start for Google Bard has not been really smooth sailing, as the company lost over $100 billion in market value over an ad that showed the chatbot sharing incorrect information. However, in the defense of Google Bard, the AI chatbot is still in the testing stage and knowing Google, we can remain assured that they are going to provide us with a state of the art chatbot as soon as they can.
Major Differences Between Google Bard & ChatGPT
From the information that we have currently available, it is clear that Google Bard and ChatGPT has multiple major differences that might be key in the battle of AIs.
- Coding proficiency: OpenAI’s ChatGPT is capable of writing and debugging complex codes in a number of programming languages. This particular feature of ChatGPT is perhaps one of the most popular ones and if you have visited Twitter or Reddit, then you know that people have been using ChatGPT for building different kinds of programs whatever the reason may be. On the other hand, Google Bard does not offer coding proficiency as Google has admitted themselves. On the FAQ page for Bard, Google writes: “Bard is still experimental and you are responsible for your use of code or coding explanations. So you should use discretion and carefully test and review all code for errors, bugs, and vulnerabilities before relying on it.”
- Source of knowledge and information: A major difference between Google Bard and ChatGPT is that the former can access the internet for collecting information while the latter relies on the knowledge database of GPT 4 and cannot access online resources. This means ChatGPT is somewhat limited in its knowledge as the database of GPT 4 is only updated up to September 2021. For events occurring after September 2021, ChatGPT has no information and cannot help you by any means.
- Drafting responses: When you enter a prompt in ChatGPT, you usually get one definitive answer from the chatbot. This can be changed however, if you explicitly ask ChatGPT to provide multiple answers to the same question. Google Bard on the other hand, provides multiple responses to the same question (which they call drafting), and you can choose which answer seems to be the most accurate according to you. Google Bard also provides the URL links from which it is drawing its responses, making it easier to crosscheck the information.
- Conversation retention: As of now, Google Bard is pretty weak when it comes to retaining past conversation. ChatGPT takes an edge in this metric as well as the chatbot can memorize previous conversations up to 3000 words. However, the chatbot does not draw context from the past interactions, which kind of evens up the contextual accuracy of the responses provided by Bard or ChatGPT. Furthermore, Google plans to expand the conversation retention capacity of ChatGPT as the machine learning ability of the chatbot enhances.
- Supported languages: As of now, Google Bard only supports one language – English. ChatGPT, on the other hand, can answer questions asked in multiple languages including English, Spanish, French, Mandarin, Bengali, Korean and so on.
The battle for supremacy: Who takes the lead?
Judging from the major differences as of now, ChatGPT has a certain edge over Google Bard, although the latter has really outdone ChatGPT in certain areas. For example, the ability to draw information from the internet has made Google Bard more accurate and recent in terms of the information it provides. Bard also adds more credibility due to its drafting capability, whereas ChatGPT seems to be more on the authoritative side through its one-answer responses.
However, these factors do not stop ChatGPT from taking the lead in the AI battle as of now. OpenAI has done a tremendous job in the AI industry, and ChatGPT is simply a groundbreaking AI chatbot that is extremely difficult to compete with.
That being said, Google Bard is improving day by day as we speak, and it is shaping up the fields for some great years of the AI battle. As these chatbots keep improving continuously, we are certain that the tech industry will be immensely benefitted from this AI supremacy competition.