Salesforce Developer Experience DX is an exciting new release for Salesforce experts. It represents a change in the way system programmers create and disseminate their work. Salesforce Developers now have access to a better and more modern development flow that includes supporting tools.
- By promoting more effective team management and communication.
- This product is intended to boost efficiency and competency in the Salesforce application cloud.
- Salesforce development has historically struggled with deployment. However, this product gives developers an easier time creating and delivering apps. It increases their total productivity.
- It also offers a new approach to managing and developing apps on the platform over their full life cycle.
Salesforce DX gives you access to the most efficient and cutting-edge tools from – the beginning of product development to the end of product release. Check out the below article to learn about Salesforce Developer Experience:
Salesforce Developer Experience (DX): What is it?
Salesforce DX is a collection of features and technologies that boost the effectiveness of application development. It tackles typical problems faced by developers and gives them control over an organization’s source of truth and lifespan.
Development teams can easily work with command line interfaces (CLIs) or integrated development environments thanks to its accessible and practical tools. Sandboxes are used by developers in Salesforce as a component of the development process to build and test modifications.
Salesforce DX enables a new way to specify the source of truth using centralized source control systems. Conflicts are still there in this new environment, but it pushes some of the trickier parts of development under source control systems to make the process more effective.
Salesforce DX’s salient features include the following:
- The capacity to create software using best practices. A team can more easily create Salesforce apps because the source code and information are stored outside the org. Your version control system serves as the source of truth instead of the organization.
- With scratch orgs, you may create adaptable and simple development and automation environments. This new form of org makes it simpler to build your apps and packages.
- When your Salesforce org has a strong command-line interface, using it for development, continuous integration, and delivery is considerably simpler (CLI).
- With the CLI and externalized source, you can utilize any IDE or text editor.
- Salesforce Extensions for VS Code can hasten the creation of apps.
- These tools include functionality for working with Salesforce Apex, Visualforce, Lightning components, and scratch orgs.
Salesforce DX Toolkits:
With an environment that enables developers to collaborate on projects within the Salesforce platform, Salesforce DX was created to boost productivity. It enables developers to continuously build and deliver together.
The Salesforce CLI or Salesforce Extensions for VS Code may be used in conjunction with a specific text editor.
The choice of VCS can also be made by users. There are several extensions available for VS Code’s Salesforce Extensions that make it easier to develop for Salesforce DX. Such as:
#1: Salesforce CLI
All Salesforce DX capabilities use the same command-line interface or Salesforce CLI. Over the course of the whole Salesforce Platform, development time is decreased.
- The CLI is simple to integrate into current developer workflows because it is built on open APIs.
- It can be used to group development tools, sync code, control orgs and data, run tests and install packages.
- CLI can also be used for developing – interactive command line development, continuous integration, continuous delivery and for automation purposes.
Apart from this, “Visual Studio Code” is an important part of “SalesForce CLI”. Visual Studio Code extensions come from this unified interface for numerous APIs. It also powers fresh features from third parties like Welkin Suite and Illuminated Cloud.
#2: Dev Hubs
- You’ll need to log in to a Dev Hub in order to install the Salesforce CLI and execute Salesforce DX commands.
- The Production org makes it simple to enable the Dev Hub feature, but keep in mind that once it gets changed then it cannot be reversed.
- You can build user records and permission settings for the members of your team using the Dev Hub’s features.
#3: Scratch Orgs
The scratch org is a source-driven, disposable deployment of metadata and code. Developers can simulate various Salesforce editions by choosing the precise features required for a certain project because it is completely configurable.
- Sharing the scratch org file with your team makes it simple for everyone to use the same foundational org while developing.
- The scratch org is a source-driven, totally disposable, completely configurable environment that is designed for automated quality testing and development.
- Scratch orgs are easy to create, use, and delete using the CLI because they are built from a source.
#4: Source-Driven Development
According to the principles of source-driven development, the source is divided into artifacts based on groups of features or customizations that are delivered concurrently. The artifact-based method of organizing the source is used by Salesforce DX.
Along with the use of well-known collaboration technologies like Git and other test-build automation tools, it is possible to move the source of truth from the organization to a version control system (VCS).
Additional functions of Salesforce DX
#1: Open and Standard Tools
In Salesforce DX, Developers have the choice of creating with open and common tools like Git, VS Code, Selenium, Eclipse, etc.
With a command-line interface and open APIs as its foundation, it may be built using any tool that adheres to open-source principles.
#2: Managed Packaging
Before DX, Salesforce already gave teams the ability to package metadata into installable logical units. However, packaging your metadata prevents the creation of an unstructured org, which can be more difficult to manage and modify.
- DX unveiled 2GP, the second generation of packaging that offers several advantages over 1GP.
- The most important modification is that 2GP now uses version control as the source of truth for package metadata rather than a packaging organization.
- Packages with this feature are also known as unlocked packages. To ensure a best-practice DevOps process with version control, if your team decides to package, use unlocked packages.
#3: Optimizing Development
Salesforce DX’s novel strategy has a lot to offer. The new tooling will handle more different forms of metadata and provide a higher level of interface for a more user-friendly working environment.
There are tools that can optimize the development process at every level, whether developers use all this new technology or just a portion of it.
Teams can switch to fully source-driven development or they can simply embrace a new version control method that makes it easier for them to collaborate. You must decide how to proceed for the most effective and efficient lifecycle management among Salesforce’s countless options?
#4: File-Based Configuration
The Salesforce CLI’s executable command “sfdx” is used by Salesforce DX. This does not imply that the Salesforce CLI may only be used with Salesforce DX projects, though. Developers can perform a wide range of operations in the Salesforce environment by using this command line interface. Although the feature is designed specifically for Salesforce DX, it may be used in any org type.
#5: Using CLI
- To interface with the various orgs, the CLI does need a few specific variables. Although developers can construct both global and local variables, they should be aware that local variables always take precedence.
- Despite being a strong tool, the CLI cannot handle intricate data operations or generate ContentVersion records.
- The Anonymous Apex script will be necessary for you to get past this. With the help of the Salesforce CLI, this script generates local files that contain Apex code.
- It is possible to use it to read local files and add Content Version records with the contents of the files to the scratch org. With new scratch orgs, there is no longer a need for manual file uploading.
Benefits of using Salesforce DX
Salesforce DX simplifies the creation and management of Salesforce apps by developers at any stage of the development lifecycle. This tool was created to increase production levels through enhanced cooperation and control.
DX was introduced because the Salesforce platform does not come with an integrated version control system. Developers can more effectively manage the auditing and testing process with the version control feature.
Salesforce DX helps developers quickly build and release new features with less risk by combining automatic processes and manual activities.
Salesforce DX increases developer productivity by giving them more freedom to design straightforward workflows using new tool options.
#1: Constant Improvement
Agile development approaches are provided by Salesforce DX, enabling quicker and more effective development. The source version control required for ongoing development is present in the collaborative development environment.
#2: Cooperation in Development
- With source-driven development, Salesforce DX performs best. You can track content revisions and benefit from the collaboration features by migrating your project resources to a Version Control System (VCS).
- You can use this automation to implement the features of continuous integration.
You can execute both unit and integration tests using the CI tool. Small blocks of code serve as the foundation for unit tests – which lack external support.
A functional code in an external system is ensured by an integration test. By automating these two tests, the potential for regressions that can occasionally result from modifying the code can be decreased.
The CI tool is constantly running to sanitize the testing environment. This avoids encountering a scratch org limit issue that is currently active. Salesforce DX enables the deletion of test scratch orgs with a single command.
#4: Continuous Release
- After integration testing is over, content is automatically sent into production via continuous deployment.
- This can reduce the feedback loop, do away with the need for release dates and let the release cycle be determined by business needs.
- In beta testing, this functionality can be used to predict the results of production.
What drawbacks does Salesforce DX have?
This software, like many others, incorporates some shortcomings. These are some known problems that may arise when using Salesforce DX.
This app lacks many features because it is still new. Since SFDX is a relatively new invention, it lacks many features and has numerous bugs that the user may run into.
-The gap is substantial
The learning curve is very steep because it’s still fairly new. The team member must become familiar with the technology, and there is a significant knowledge gap between those who are proficient with this app and those who are not.
-Search engine usage
Due to the prevalence of search engines, SFDX troubleshooting can be challenging.
Why Is It Important to Configure the Salesforce DX Experience?
Salesforce is constantly enhancing and expanding its toolkit to improve the developer experience. Salesforce DX enables you to create apps with the full range of convenience, whether you’re a solo developer or part of a larger team.
The integrated end-to-end lifecycle of Salesforce DX is a good investment because it can boost team productivity and collaboration abilities, which will lead to higher output.
Salesforce offers developers the benefit of an open-source, lightweight platform named the VS Code editor with simple-to-install extensions thanks to the Salesforce DX experience.
How do you perfectly configure your Salesforce DX environment?
#A: Establishing the Salesforce DX Environment
- Step 1: Install the CLI (Command Line Interface) first on your computer or laptop.
- Step 2: After installing the archive file from the website, extract it and run the script.
- Step 3: A Salesforce CLI Setup dialogue box with the option to choose Salesforce CLI Features will display to start the Windows installation.
Step 4: To proceed, select every element listed there and click “next”. Then, to complete the Windows installation, select the install location according to your comfort and click the Install button.
- Step 5: Run the commands “sfdx -version” for version information and “sfdx” to confirm the Salesforce CLI installation from CMD. One can type “sfdx force – help” to get additional information about the various commands.
- Step 6: Using the “sfdx plugins” command, confirm the installation of the sfdx plugins.
- Step 7: Run the “sfdx plugins: install salesforcedx@pre-release” command if a plugin is missing.
- Step 8: Use the same command, “sfdx plugins,” that was previously mentioned to recheck the installation of the sfdx plugin.
- Step 9: We can guarantee a successful SFDX installation in the Windows environment by carefully following the procedures. Let’s now proceed with installing Visual Studio Code.
#B: Configure the VS Code environment
Install VS Code by first downloading the setup file from the internet. After agreeing to the terms of the license agreement, save the file in the location you want on your machine to complete the installation procedure. To start VS Code, select the “Finish” button.
#C: Setup the Salesforce DX Experience in Visual Studio Code
First, set up the “Salesforce Extension Pack.” You must download it first in order to use Lightning Web Components in Visual Studio Code. You may configure the Salesforce DX experience with VS Code in this manner.
#D; Create a Salesforce DX project using the command Palette
By typing Ctrl+Shift+P on a Windows keyboard, you can launch Visual Studio Code’s Command Palette. Then enter SFDX. Inside SFDX, click on Create Project. Name your project according to the guidelines. Press the Enter key. Choose a folder in which you want to save your project.
#E: Using the Command Palette, authorize your non-DevHub organization
For Windows users, press Ctrl+Shift+P to launch the Command Palette in Visual Studio Code. Enter SFDX. Select Authorize an Org from the menu under SFDX. Choose the login option that best suits your needs. The CLI will remember your credentials when you enter them in the browser, and a success message will show up on your screen.
#F: Using the Command Palette, create a Lightning Web Component
To authorize your non-DevHub organization using the Command Palette, repeat the first two steps. After that, select SFDX: Create Lightning Web Component. By pressing Enter, you agree to the default force-app/main/default/lwc. Enter a name for the new component. Once finished, Visual Studio Code can be used to inspect the newly produced files.
#G: Deploying the Component to the Org
Navigate to the project’s default option in Visual Studio Code and click it. SFDX: Deploy Source to org. The option will display after clicking.
Although the following instructions for creating a Salesforce DX environment appear straightforward, they can be challenging to put into practice, especially for novice developers.
The capabilities of Salesforce DX have been fully investigated. With Salesforce DX, you have a great deal of freedom to explore the numerous tools and features at your disposal.
It is a recommendation to obtain professional assistance in setting up a Salesforce DX experience. You can search for the best Salesforce implementation services. You can also search for Strivemindz because they can provide comprehensive information about Salesforce tools.
An Illustration of Salesforce DX Workflow
The following example walks you through a common feature branch model workflow, while there is no one methodology that works for every team.
The automation might be handled by a toolchain of open-source software, and the deployments could be carried out via the CLI. Or, a single DevOps solution can be used to manage the entire procedure.
- When starting a fresh work item, first make a feature branch from your Git repository’s main branch.
- Create a new org from scratch by utilizing a definition file from your Git repository.
- In order to maintain the scratch org and branch in sync, make modifications in the IDE or scratch org.
- Make a pull request and give it to a coworker once the work item is prepared for review.
- Merge the branch into the main after review (and any changes requested). Next, get rid of the branch.
- The task is prepared for QA or UAT! Your testing environments can be automatically deployed using a continuous integration process.
- When testing is finished, go to production.
To get assistance for the Salesforce DX, you can take use of the Salesforce consulting service.
Development and DevOps have been made simpler by the SFDX metadata standard and the ever-expanding tools available to Salesforce developers; nevertheless, not every team chooses to use scratch orgs or second-generation packaging.
The numerous innovative and useful features of Salesforce can be quite advantageous to developers. Admins and developers have more flexibility in their communication because of Salesforce’s DX.
In the upcoming months or years, DX will develop new, innovative features and continue to expand. The appropriate collection of team collaboration tools that offer cloud governance, compliance and security are essential for improving the lifecycle environment.
- The usual tools are included in Salesforce DX, but developers have access to many more.
- The environment hub, scratch orgs, updated command line interface and new APIs are the most important new additions to enhance the development workflow.
- Whether to use Salesforce DX relies on your team’s needs and skills. The lack of a point-and-click user interface in the Salesforce DX tools can be difficult for some people.
- Some teams do not have the necessary skill set to use these tools, which are found within a CLI or IDE. You can improve your team’s productivity and collaboration capacity with Salesforce DX tools if you invest the time to develop these skills.
Strivemindz provides a wide range of solutions to aid in your growth, including the creation of bespoke native applications, Salesforce developers, eCommerce and cloud integration, migration, implementation, support, and maintenance. Our Salesforce development services are committed to researching and giving our clients high-quality solutions.
OUR CONTACT INFORMATION
What is new in the Salesforce DX and discuss key available tools?
In Salesforce DX, it incorporates a migration tool from Force.com for retrieving data with simultaneously pushing metadata. Apart from this, Salesforce DX also focuses on integration and application pipelines for streamlining the entire workflow. The process of streamlining commences through the “Heroku Flow” process.
What are the primary capabilities related to Salesforce DX?
The primary capabilities of Salesforce DX are as follows – VS Code, Selenium, Eclipse, Git code structure, etc.
What are the key responsibilities of the Salesforce DX developers?
Salesforce developers are required to focus on creating and developing Salesforce applications in the entire app development cycle. The responsibility of the Salesforce DX also includes – designing, coding, testing the stability of the applications, customizing software, etc.
What should be the career path in Salesforce development?
As per the searches of the top job search platforms (for example: Linkdln) there are various job roles available for Salesforce development – such as: Marketing cloud specialist, Salesforce Solution Architect, Salesforce Project Manager, etc.
How much time do I need to invest to learn about Salesforce?
The average time for getting Salesforce certification is around 6 to 8 weeks. It is estimated that an individual will need to devote at least 2 to 3 hours each day to learn about the Salesforce platform in an effective way.
What are the foremost advantages of utilizing SFDX process?
There are the following key advantages of utilizing SFDX for streamlining processes – such as: it improves team development, it can promote a higher level of collaboration, it can facilitates an automated testing process, it includes continuous integration, etc.